Monday, March 30, 2009

All sort of things happen in life, even the ones that you do not expect. They are called "surprises", some are pleasant, some are unpleasant, and there some you just do not know where to put them.


This morning was like any other morning. Woke up at 4.50am (yes, thats when I wake up every morning), washed up, prepared for work and then head out of my home. Even as I got into the lift, I was still half-asleep; I had the habit of catching large amounts of sleep on my 1 and half hour journey to work.


So, like any other morning, I just hit the button with "1" on it and the lift door closed. I stoned for a second or 2 as the lift started moving downwards.


All of a sudden, there was a jerk and the lift came to a sudden stop. In my mind was a big big "?" and I actually thought the lift stopped for someone at the 7th floor. But no, the lift was somewhere between the 8th and 7th floor.


Really, being half asleep and getting stuck in a lift isn't the best things to mix. There was an announcement over the speaker that went "Please do not force the lift door open. Press the alarm and wait for rescue." I did not even realise my lift broke down, well, you can't blame me, the lights and ventilation were still on. So I just retardedly keep hitting the "1" button, then all the other buttons, and after about a minute of doing that, I realised my lift broke down.


So retardedly again, I pressed the alarm bell. In a variation of patterns and rhythm, and then realising that no one would hear the bell at 5.20am, I gave up. I just called for help myself. I didn't even know why I bothered to press the alarm when the helpline was right in front of me.


I dialed the number, and half-expected no one to pick up the phone. But of course, someone did.


"Hello?"


"Er, hi, I am stuck in the lift"


"Sorry?"


"Er, my lift broke down and I am stuck in the lift."


"Oh ok... which block is that?"


"686B"


"Ok, I'll send a rescue team over."


"May I know how long will it take?"


"25 minutes"


"Wha?"


"Could be earlier. 25 minutes or earlier."


"Oh ok, thanks"


15 minutes later, I heard sounds around the lift. Then someone knocked on the lift door outside and went "Hello?" I was feeling super sleepy and didn't react. So the fella went "Hello?" again. Then I realised that it was rescue and I responded "Ya?" And then the reply came "Wait wait."


10 minutes later, the lift door opens up and this indian guy popped his head in. I looked at him and said "Yo." Then he helped me to climb out of the lift and I said thanks and its off to work for me. I reached camp 30 minutes later than I usually did, but well, thank God I always reach camp 1 hour earlier than expected. :D

No comments: