Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Contrary to popular belief, there are actually many things to learn in the army that can be applied practically to our lives. And one of the things that I learnt, is the term: Regroup.


During my training as a section commander, I learnt that when we get into a very nasty situation, we retreat and regroup. That is actually very common knowledge. The reason as to why we do that is simple; because we got compromised and thus have to reorganize, restrategise, and then return again to restart the fight. It is not surrendering. It is simply regrouping.


In a general term, I call this "Restart". Funny as it may seem, restarts actually play a very big role in our lives. Our computers have a function to restart when our system go bonkers, our PSP, Playstations, XBOX, they all have a restart function. Even if a product has no restart button, like our handphones, we always turn them on and off whenever something seemed wrong with the device.


Why do we do that? Because we believe that by restarting the device, it will simply sort itself out. And it does. Restarts seem to work most of the time. When our computer crash, the 1st thing we do is to restart it; then pray that it works, which usually happens.


Though I do restarts often, I never liked it. It actually takes courage and sacrifice to hit that "Reset" or "Restart" button. When I am playing a game and it hangs, I always hesitate a long time before I hit the "Reset" button. Thats because I know if I restart, I will lose all that I have done before the game hanged. However, the thing is that if I don't restart, I simply am unable to move on. A dilemma indeed.


I have been in the down for quite some time now. Been hitting this invisible wall these days, unable to get a move on. Taking a step back and looking at the road behind me, I realised that I have actually struggled quite a bit with myself. Torn bits of clothes were lying at some places where I tore them from myself, there were books at some places where I ran out of ideas.


Looking down this particular road, I realised that at some point, I decided to leave God out of the plan. I decided that I could do this on my own, that I had enough in me to handle whatever that may come my way. I was wrong. I only made a big mess out of myself.


Realising that I was going nowhere, I decided to walk back down the road, pick up all the bits and pieces I dropped; retreat back to the start point again.

Its time to restart and to regroup. And this time, God's going to lead the way.

No comments: