Saturday, November 10, 2007

Finding Treasures

Just yesterday, I shifted to another bunk. That meant moving alot of my stuff. And clearing out the old stuff of the previous occupant. Well, basically I am just taking over the bed of some guy who just ORDed recently. I dreaded the shifting, I had already settled so comfortably into my old bunk and now they want me to shift. But no choice, it was instruction. So I just dragged myself to do it.

Shifted here and there. The cupboard I was supposed to take was totally FULL! Theres like helmets, SBOs, duffel bags, field packs... and other junk. I took awhile to clear them and asked if anyone wanted to claim those. Some claimed but not everything was cleared. I carried on clearing, complaining to myself why can't the ORD guy jus bring all his stuff back. Then, I found some pretty interesting things.

Treasures. Things like a portable DVD player and a book. I thought to myself, hm? Surely the DVD player is spoiled, thats why its left behind. But well, being the me that I am, I decided to try it out and see if it works. I plugged in the power, turned it on. It turn on. I was like "?!". It actually turned on! So well, ok. It might not be able to play anything. So I borrowed a VCD from my bunk mate and put it in. Played. The DVD player was working fine. Wow. Impressive. So, I got a DVD player and a book to entertain me now.

Sometimes, our life are like that. You know, full of chores and work and struggles, things that none of us like to do. And we complain and grumble, and wonder why the heck are we even doing this for. Maybe, just maybe, we can look out for small little treasures that our work might bring out? It probably won't be DVD players or books, it might just be experience, friendship, skills, street smartness, or even just a chance to do something different. I don't know what it will be, its all up to the individual to decide.

If you decide that your work brings no rewards or treasures whatsoever, then so it will be. If you so decide that your work is full of rewards and treasures, then so it will be as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i tagged the entry about arts vs sci.. i said people who argued that sci is better than arts are people who have very little 'jian4 shi4'. but i cant exactly rmb the rest.. haha.. u noe what is so funny. my latest entry and this entry of yours can be 2 different passages for GP compre(pasage a and b). HAHAHA! but it enlightened me. which is why i enjoy reading ur entries. btw can u drop me a msg in my hp cos i sent my hp for servicing but many contacts are lost!