Tuesday, May 18, 2010

And it was all yellow.

Long break from writing, everybody must be wondering what has happened to me that I have not written even though exams ended 2 Fridays ago. So here's a little update of what happened in my life, courtesy of myself to all my friends and possible unknown stalkers who might be interested in what's going on for reasons that I will never be able to comprehend.

Church. The number 1 most time consuming part of my life. Practically the whole of last week has been taken up by the church in preparation of the "My Idea of Heaven" event that happened last Friday. I'm not complaining though, because I was really impacted by the responses that I received. If I haven't decided to push that extra step and go the extra mile, I probably wouldn't have discovered what I found. My thanks to Rita, Xingyi, Boon Lai, Jeff and Yong Jie for working with me on this project. It's really the experience that I am most thankful for. And for my friends who aren't in church, this is what I've been working on.

Canoeing. The canoe team is training every single morning from Monday to Saturday now, and it's really tiring. Not the physical training kind of tiring, but really the need to wake up early every morning kind of tiring. I'm not a morning person, as many of you probably know. So it's really an epic struggle for me to get out of bed at 7am in the morning just to go for training. Training has been rather discouraging as well, because I'm rowing in a new boat now and I am extremely unfamiliar with it, causing me to capsize countless times in the reservoir. Just this morning, I thought about why I am canoeing. Other than the fact that it is helping me to be less fat than I would have been and that I have great team mates, I really don't know why else I am doing this. Perhaps it would have been better that I picked up a performing art, one that I can ask my friends to come for a concert and see me perform. When it's canoeing, we only train for races, and none of my friends would bother to watch me race or even talk about it anyway. But then again, it was just a passing thought.

Work. I have applied to a whopping number of 6 companies in search of a temporary job as probably an admin clerk or something. It has been a week and none of them has responded and it's really very discouraging. I really want to get a job so I can afford the Taiwan trip that we are planning for this August and also the PS3 that is calling out to me.

Scholarship. I got shortlisted for the "Lim Kim San Memorial Scholarship" which is technically a scholarship for people who come from families that earn less than $5000 a month, like me. It's a bond-less scholarship from the SPH Foundation for students of languages, which for my case is English. The interview is next Tuesday and I have no idea what I'm supposed to prepare for it, but I'm excited nonetheless. Really thank God for this opportunity! And I hope I don't mess up the interview! Oh gosh, getting all anxious now.

And also... I have nothing more to say. I am reading Possessions now and there's so much that I want to quote from it. Basically a whole bunch of religious and literary quotable treasures that I found.

And... I just got reminded by Andrea Khong Lilian that I should get started on researching the Taiwan itinerary.

So... I should stop writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, although it has been a few years back already, would you mind sharing your experience in applying for the SPH Lim Kim San Memorial Scholarship? How were your grades, how did the interview go, did you eventually get it..

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I came across your blog while researching on the LKS Memorial Scholarship. I am currently in NUS FASS and I just sent in my application for the scholarship. I got an interview slot with them this coming Friday. I have a couple of questions to ask.
1) Is the pool of competitors big?
2) In your opinion, what are the tips to scoring well in the interview? Being a recipient of this scholarship would mean a lot to me given that I am not from a financially-able family. Thus, I would like to maximize my chances.
3) Would any prior links with SPH (internships, part-time work, workshops) be of any advantage?
4)Did you get your scholarship in the end?
Thank you so much for your attention. Your reply would mean so much to me! :) And on a side note, your blog is really really nice and colourful! Keep up the good work.

I am really sorry to appear out of the blue, like a stalker :/ HAHA