Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A Day At CMPB

  • Today is the day of my medical examination to test whether I am operationally fit for NS (National Service). This examination will determine which PES (Physical Employment Standards) I am in. PES will classify whether I am combat fit or not, so as to determine which vocation I will be allocated to. PES ranges from A (being fit for all operational vocations) to F (medically unfit for any form of service, probably paralysed or something).
  • So my day starts with meeting Alvin at the Queensway MRT station to go CMPB. Took the 195 bus but wasn't sure which stop to alight, thus ended up missing the CMPB stop. Never mind. So we stepped into CMPB after some security checks. Saw Weihong who is working at CMPB when we passed the canteen. When we stepped into the building, we went to the counter and told the guy there that we were here for a medical examination. Yup, so we handed him our letters and ICs. Next we were asked to go to the photo studio.
  • Dang, the moment I stepped in, a very unfriendly guy told us to put our bag downs and put on uniforms. I was abit shocked but then realised that this is the result of army life. So i put on this tight fitting green uniform (yes i looked old in it) and had my photo taken. With us were a few guys here for medical exam as well.
  • Then we were asked to go the medical screening area. Went to the counter and the lady did not even bother to look at us. "Read the instructions", that was all she said. So according to the instructions, I handed in my IC, my blood donor's card (to show proof of my blood type so they won't take it again), the medical questionnaire I filled in. Then I was asked to take a seat, and watch television.
  • "Ang Meng Hui", that was me. I moved along to station 5 as instructed. In this place, they tested my hearing capabilities. I wasn't prepared for this. I was told to read instructions again and I did. I was shoved into a sound proof room and put on this head phones. Supposedly, if I hear a very soft tone coming from the left side, I would raise my left hand, and if it comes from the right, my right hand. The tone super soft and is just next to silence. Thank God I wasn't that deaf. On my sheet, I was given PES A for audio, cool.
  • Then I was sent to station 4. Here, they tested me on my sight. Well, the usual "read the word off the wall" test. But the instructions wasn't clear so I kept reading from the wrong rows. Lol. How pathetic. The guy asked me if I had any eye problems and I said myopia, but he said it ain't a problem. Really? Well, even the short sighted me got a PES A for this test, impressed.
  • Next up, room 3. X-ray station. I waited outside the room for some time and then was called in with a whole group of other guys. Once inside the room, we were all told to take off our tops and ya, so our tops went off. Freak, I was the last in the row so I had to stand super long topless in the aircon room. Inside the room, there were articles showing that x-ray is not harmful to the body, hm. After the taking the X-ray, I wore my top and went off, to station 2. No PES for this one.
  • Station 2 is dental. Checks my teeth and all. I hate dentists the most, thanks to the monster nurse in my primary school and her clipboard with recycled paper. But this one is ok. The moment I stepped in, the people inside asked me if I was religious coz I wore a cross on my neck, so I said ya... Then I was introduced to them and their churches and all. Turns out to be very friendly brothers in Christ, amen! Dental check up done and I got PES A for it, cool.
  • Then comes station 1. I stepped in and was handed a bottle and a stick. I was clueless as to what this was for. That guy told me to go into the toilet and read the instructions (again). So I go in and was instructed to pee into the bottle and put the stick in it. Crap, I wasn't even urgent la! So I took awhile then i pee-ed into the bottle, put the stick in, poured out the contents then went out to show the fella the stick. Was supposed to have a blood test, but I was exempted after the guy saw that I declared to be G6PD deficient. So I was given a piece of paper telling that I can't take some drugs and some nuts and all. Am supposed to give this paper to my sergeant(whoever he is) on my enlistment day at Tekong. So, ya.
  • After this, went to station 6. Again, I am asked to strip down everything but my shorts. So many people were in the waiting area with nothing but shorts on. Then I went to the ECG room after hanging around the area not knowing what to do.
  • In the ECG room, they placed weird devices on my body to test electrical currents coming from my heart (?). No idea what for. And for some reason, the officer had problems putting the device on me. Weird. And I was given a "abnormal right axis..." result. Crap, abnormal heart? No way...
  • Then I went to take my height and weight. That was simple. After that I went to take my blood pressure at a self-service measuring machine. The guy for that station was surfing the net la! Aiyo. So I hit the buttons myself and took my blood pressure, and showed the results to the net surfer.
  • Next I went into a room called "Alpha, A". Consultation, where all your secrets leaked. The moment I went in, the guy told me to drop my shorts and underwear. I was taken back for a moment but did as told. Then I pulled them up again and went to sit down. Showed the doc my file and he saw my "abnormal heart" thing so he asked me to stand up and took my heart beat. He never said a thing. Then he gave me an overall PES B coz of my G6PD deficiency. How sad.
  • PES B qualifies me for most operational vocations.
  • Then I went to another room and registered at some board and was told to read the instructions (again!). So I did. Then I waited very long and took what I remember to be "MAPHAS" or "MAFAAS" or "MAFFAS" test. It is supposed to test my mental capabilities. Man, this test is tough! I was tested in the range of patterns, numbers, algebra, arithmetics, physics, my opinions, my reaction time, my memory etc... I couldn't complete all of them in time as there was a time limit. Crap.
  • Then I went to the exit counter, handed in my pink form and was given another file. Inside was "Secrets of passing your IPPT & NAPFA" and "Recruit's Handbook, A Guide Through Basic Military Training"
  • Ah, so welcome, Recruit M H Ang.

No comments: