Saturday, December 13, 2008

"Heroes", the christmas event for HOF this year is coming up and everybody is working non-stop to find their costumes, make their costumes, squeeze out every single ounce of brainjuice they have for the ideas. I am not spared from this crazy wave of non-stop work either. Researching for ideas for the G12 costumes, allocating characters to every single G12 member, plan and organise the evangelistic wednesday for home christmas, making sure everything goes as per planned. This is what happens when your G12 leader got video to concentrate on, and your G12 assistant leader goes on a trip to China, and then to Malaysia.

Anyways, while doing these things, a little idea popped into my mind. "Heroes". What makes someone a hero? Some famous heroes include: Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Captain America, Ironman, just to name a few. We all agree these people are heroes, but what exactly makes them a hero? Lets look at some common qualities they have.

  • They all come and save the world from villains.
  • They will save the world even if it means putting their life on the line.
  • They wear a good looking costume, a few of them are made of spandex.
  • They have strong and muscular bodies.
  • They fight really well.
  • Theres always a damsel in distress for them to save.

Can't think of much. I remember a phrase from the movie "The Dark Knight" that says 'you either die a hero, or you live long enough to become a villain.'

To me, however, to be a hero means alot more than just saving the damsel in distress. Its alot more than just putting on a spandex costume or a cool looking outfit and going around beating bad people up. To me, a hero is more than a muscular body or the ability to fly around the world in 1 second. Thats because I know someone who is really a hero. And let me tell you about him.

"Heroes", if we read it aloud, it can also be read as "He rose". Who rose? You may ask. Jesus Christ. He is the true blue, real and authentic hero of the world. No, he is not muscular. No, he does not wear a spandex costume or a cape. He simply saved the entire world from eternal death. Thats what makes Him a hero.

Not enough? Want something like super powers? Well, He's got it too. Feeding 5000 people with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, thats pretty impressive. Turning plain old water into the finest wine anyone can taste. How about silencing the storm by rebuking the wind? Or walking on water? Or healing the blind and the lepers? Or even reviving those whom others have declared dead? Is that not super enough for you?

Okay, a hero must be noble as well. Sacrificing himself to save the world would be the best right? Well, you got it. Thats exactly what Jesus did. He sacrificed Himself and died on the cross so He could take on the sin of the entire world, past present future, so that He could save everybody from eternal death. He did this despite the fact that the very peope He is trying to save were the ones who ridiculed Him and were the ones who put Him on the cross. What else could be more noble than this?

Maybe you are looking for the "WOW" factor, something that truly distinguishes this hero from any other. Heres one for you. Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He died on the cross, only to be raised from the dead 3 days later, after which He ascended to heaven. Isn't that wow enough? Its definitely wow enough for me.

So let me say this. Personally, Jesus Christ is my hero. He saved me from eternal death. I don't need anybody in a red cape flying over and scoop me out of a bad situation because I know one thing. I know that when I'm in a bad situation, Jesus Christ won't be coming down to scoop me out of it. Instead, He will be there with me, to see me through it. Thats my hero. Is He your hero too?

No comments: