Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Living God Part 2: The One Who Was And Is And Is To Come

In the last part, I discussed about a Living God, one who is resurrected and can live up to His promises. In this part, I will discuss about a God who is living in the past, the present and even into the future.
Revelations 4:8 says "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come" Revelations 1:8 also says "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." What does all this mean? "Who was" would mean that God is of the past, "who is" would mean that God is of the present, "who is to come" mean God is of the future. Alpha means the beginning, and Omega means the end. So our God is one who spans through all time, existing from the beginning to the very end.
We can also see from these verses that indeed God is definite about this, He is sure about what He said. He did not say "who may come". He said " who is to come". The mere use of the word "is" ensures that He is sure to come.
"Who was". Our God is one of the past. Even though He is one of the past, He is still the Living God. Matthew 22:32 "I am the God of Abraham, the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob. He is not the God of the dead but of the living." Our God is one of the living. He is the God of the forefathers, God of past. You may ask how this will be as we will all die eventually and that the forefathers are dead. Indeed our earthly body dies, but when we believe in Christ our Lord, our soul is revived and lives eternally through the Lord Jesus Christ.
"Who is". Our God as one of the present. Matthew 28:20 "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" Hey hey, look at this verse. God says, "I AM with you always" He said I AM. "Am" is present tense if you know english. This clearly means He is the God of the present, NOW. And look, "to the very end of the age". This is a promise that He will be with us till the end, as the above have shown, to the Omega. This eventually leads me to the next point.
"Who is to come". A God of the future. Joshua 1:5 "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you." Look at this. The use of all the "will". "Will" is a future tense. He WILL be with us, WILL never leave us, WILL not forsake us. When someone says that he will, he is making a promise. If I say, "I will come to have lunch with you", I am making an appointment, a promise that I will come and have lunch with you. Similarly, God is promising that He will never forsake us, and we can be assured that God never fail in His promises.
Indeed, our True and Living God lives through the past, the present and the future. He was with us in the beginning, is with us now, and will be with us in the future, all the way through to the end. And rest assured, He will not fail in His promises to be with us all the way.
Revelation 22:13 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this by pastor allan lit? but it has part 2 so maybe not.. hof msg ah? don't think so..