Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The 17th Birthday

It is the 536112000th second, 8935200th minute, 148920 hour, 6205 day, and 17th year of my life. Ok, looks pretty heavy right, its just my 17th birthday. Some people say the 17h year is the sweetest year in your life. The sweet teen, or even a magazine called "Seventeen" would suggest this. But why is this so? I don't know, and I don't feel like thinking about this. Well, thats cos I am so happy today. Why? Not just cos its my birthday. Its cos people actually remember my birthday. They sent me short messages through the phone wishing me a happy birthday. And they wish my happy birthday in school. Thats just so great. Some people say its great only when you recieve presents. But I say its great when people actually remember that its your birthday. It takes effort to remember someone's birthday, ok? I mean, its hard to know this kind of joy untill you get a year when no one even remember its your birthday. Thats sad. Well, this year, a whole bunch of people remembered the date, so that really made me glad. Birthday is a day that happens only once a year, and each time you celebrate your birthday, you get older. That means from the last birthday till now, I am older by a year. I mean thats the obvious, but many people still don't realise it. They just spend their birthday like its just a normal celebration. They just see it as a day when you get good food and lots of gifts. The real meaning of a birthday is the growing up, and thats why every year, your gifts will be different. When you are like just 3 years old, people would give you little toys, or bears or whatever. When you are 17, thats a totally different thing. People would give something else like a shirt, shoe, or handphone. I mean, if someone give you a baby toy at your 17th birthday, wouldn't that be way too absurd? It would seem like a joke to you, wouldn't it? And as you get older, like reaching 60s or 80s, people would hold real expensive dinners for you, buy tonics as gifts. See the difference? I am sure you can. Well, for today, not much celebration with my friends, they wished me a happy birthday afterall. It was at night when I celebrated with my family. My sis bought me this pretty tight T-shirt... I am sure she didn't meant it to be tight, just maybe she overlooked the size. Well, my family and I had dinner then had this birthday cake and song. And thats all. Had a happier birthday than last year, I wonder what next year will be, when I am 18...

No comments: