Thursday, August 13, 2009

Post No. 267 (The Stories of A Freshie)

For those who do not know, for whatever reasons, school life has started for me. Yes, I am a student now, I carry a bag to school and I read books and write notes and print lecture notes. If you are reading this, it must be because of one of the following reasons:

- You want to know whats going on in my life.
- You are extremely bored and want something to read.
- You are a great friend of mine and is a loyal fan of my blog. (hoho)
- You have, for no particular reason, clicked something and it somehow directed you to this blog.

Regardless of the reason, I shall share with you what has happened since the day school started. The reason why I am doing this is because I want to take a break from reading my texts, and also because the "Fish-a-fish" application on Facebook is down. (WHY IS IT DOWN! I WANT TO FISH MANY FISH!)

Anyway, first day of school was not very eventful. I met some friends at Boon Lay MRT and went to school together, alighted at the bus stop nearest to the LT, and went looking for the LT. A friend insisted that it wasn't cool to fish out the map I had in my bag so we didn't. As a result, well, we got lost. I shall not bore you, my dear readers, with the mundane details of the different places we went to OTHER THAN the designated LT. Just know that we climbed stairs, took the elevator, hit dead-ends, walked and walked until we saw a SMALL sign on the door that says "LT 9". We were late by at least 10 minutes.

My first lecture (well, first non-military related) since 2006. And er, I don't know, I felt it was a little chim (sophisticated) but could still understand. Maybe it was due to the rust left behind by my military stint, but I really thank God I had some literature background, or I won't understand much. Also, thank God for Evangel Family Church for inviting angmohs (caucasians) to speak, so I was still able to understand the accent. Horizon of expectations, form, Anglo-Saxon, Beowolf etc.

Went home and waited for 7pm to register for the modules that I have planned.
6.50pm
*refresh*
6.55pm
*refresh*
*puts MSN on busy status*
6.58pm *refresh*
7pm
*refresh*
*frantic clicking to register course*
*FAIL*
*registers Plan 2*
*FAIL*
*registers Plan 3*
*FAIL*
*randomly tries to register courses*
*FAIL*
*Stares at monitor in disbelief and resignation*
*Goes to have Xiao Long Bao at Ding Tai Feng to drown the sorrows*

That's day 1 then.

Day 2 was pretty alright. Tried again to register for courses.

*logs in*
*randomly clicks courses that I like*
*1 slot in communication studies*
*nearly went mad*
*clicks frantically to register*
*SUCCESSFULLY REGISTERED*
*thank God*
*Jumps for joy*
*continues to randomly click courses*
*1 slot in Singapore Politics and Govt*
*Not sure about it but clicked it anyway in spirit of kiasu-ness*
*SUCCESSFULLY REGISTERED*
*thank God*

The lecture starts only at 3pm (I love my timetable like this) and I could still go lunch with mum and go shopping with her in the afternoon. However, I sort of overestimated the efficiency of our public transport system and reached the LT, again, 10 minutes late. Introduction to literature. Way simpler than the one I had on day 1. Nothing much was learnt, but I took notes anyway. I like my lecturers, they are pretty cool people.

Day 3, well, that's today, Thursday. Wasn't supposed to have classes today because tutorials don't start till next week, but found out last night that there was a lecture for comm studies at 11am; so well, I found myself going to school again. Reached the school, its called the Wee Kim Wee School Of Communications and Information, which is a totally new and foreign place to me. Found the LT after asking one of the aunties working there (and also realised its the only LT around), met a few people in the LT and then found out that the lecture was cancelled. We didn't know because we didn't attend the previous lecture because we weren't enrolled in the course yet. So well, just too bad for us.

I am pretty glad to find out (after asking some people there)that this course, COM201 is actually a Comm Studies Year 1 course! Haha, there goes all my fears that it was going to be too advanced. :D Bought the textbook for COM201 and did some admin at my school, which is the School of Humanities and Social Sciences and went for lunch. Did some swimming in the late afternoon and then studied abit at the CCK library (which I found was not very conducive).

Tomorrow, there will be a lecture for the Singapore Politics and Govt course and I shall take a look at how it is. It probably isn't going to be as basic as COM201 because the lecture notes for the lecture was 176 slides long! Most of which are newspaper articles and quotes. -_-" Not really sure if I am up to it, but shall try anyway.

So that's how school life (minus the orientation camp) started for me. Certainly just the usual fare in university life, but I found it pretty exciting still!

No comments: