Monday, January 11, 2010

And school begins again.

Zimmer’s inspiration for the score was The Threepenny Opera, Kurt Weill’s macabre tale of Victorian London’s criminal underbelly (although he cheerfully admits there is a dash of Steptoe and Son thrown into the mix). Like Weill’s new invented folk tunes, Zimmer’s music has a hidden sophistication. The pianos may be out of tune but they are all played impeccably. “It’s a typical example of Zimmer madness, where I hear a sound in my head and how are we gonna get it? I was looking for a pub piano sound, something that had that lived-in quality, but there are no pubs in Los Angeles. At first I got someone to detune my piano but it just sounded out of tune so I asked my assistant to go onto Craigslist and find me a broken piano. Actually the broken piano became a bigger thing because then I thought, rather than use big drums what would a piano sound like if you dropped it down a flight of stairs?”

And did you do it?

“Yeah. We rented 20th Century Fox’s underground car park one Sunday and did hideous things to a piano. Actually, that was the second broken piano we bought. The first one I had every intention of destroying but when it arrived you could tell that someone had loved and cared for it all their life — it was so sweet. My reaction was, ‘We can’t break this. Find me an abused piano.’”

- From "Hans Zimmer: 'The sound of Sherlock Holmes? It’s a broken piano'"

And yes, school starts tomorrow and I do not know what to expect.

No comments: