Saturday, January 16, 2010

Clearing. Memories.

In order to create space for my poor books who were lying on the floor and on the printer, I used this evening to clear out the relics lying in my shelves.

It was a walk down memory lane.

Relics and artifacts from the past decade of my life all cramped into those shelves in my mega-wardrobe. There were so many things.

Game cards. Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Kenshin. How much money have I spent on these things and I don't even remember playing them much! (except maybe Yu-gi-oh)

Discman, walkman. Relics in an era where MP3s and iPods now rule the world. Does anybody even remember them? They were such important things!

Letters. Love letters. Haha, those were such happening days.

Information booklets, pamphlets, leaflets. From NTU, NUS, SMU, SIM, NP, SP, NYP, SAF, RSAF, NAVY, Scholarships, Careers etc etc. I had so many options back then! So many paths to go!

Certificates. Swimming, army, secondary school, results etc etc. Some things I have already forgotten about. But oh well.

Soft toys, remote control car and some other toys. Only a few that I decided to keep from a further past.

Photos. Class photos, army photos, photo albums.

Notebooks. From JC, from army. I have spent so much effort writing them in! So meticulously making sure I don't miss a single thing.

Shoeboxes. There's just something about shoeboxes and me. I love to keep shoeboxes, and I don't even know why.

Games. Some games that I have no idea how they ended up in the shelves. I found my copy of the PC version of FFVII too. :D

Most of them had to go. Some are given to my mum so she can find a kid whom she can bless with those soft toys and a remote control car. Some get to stay, especially those photos. I don't throw photos away, they are too sacred.

I feel like the government.

"We need to make space for new development! We will demolish this this this! Oh why do you want to keep these old buildings and places? They are taking up space! They do nothing but give you a sense of nostalgia!"

But, but, but... we are all addicted to the feeling of nostalgia...

"Ah fine, we'll keep a few of them in Chinatown! They might boost tourism anyway."

Thanks.

"Destroy destroy destroy. Build build build. Economics rules the world!"

While doing my clearing up, my dad brought some guests into the house, only to find it in a mess with everything on the floor.

"Wah, doing spring cleaning ah? Good good, chinese new year coming already."

Oh yes, its that time of the year already.

The books look so beautiful on the shelves now.

No comments: