Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Sky is is not the limit when you are at Limpopo River.

Alex Khong commented that I had very sharp eyesight because I spotted a whole bunch of balloons floating into the sky tonight. But no, I do not have a very sharp eye, I simply have the habit of looking to the sky.

The musical tonight was good. Yep, good! Tried to trick Andrea by saying we forgot the flowers, but Zhi Wei just had to be behind me holding the bouquet of flowers. Oh well. Here's how I feel (un-professional comments) about the musical anyway, if you are interested to know.

Things that I enjoyed:

- The plot line. Although predictable, the plot was heartwarming and pretty sweet with the focus on friendship (I know it is overused for school productions) and the twist with creation and genesis. And the story within a play thing, love it.

- The set. Simply love the set. How they used different things to create the set, the books (BOOKS!) to represent birds (tempted to over-read this), umbrellas for trees, lamps for stars. And then the rainbow!

- The singing. It being a musical, the singing of course has been very impressive. I'm a not a music person so I won't know what keys they hit or what not, but it was nice. And that's enough for me. :D Bird girl and Magician are awesome singers! Elephant child not too bad as well! Can hear Andrea when she sang too!

- The lighting and music. Good play on the lighting and colours. I could really feel the emotions intended for the scenes! Good stuff.

- The humour. Word play and witty jokes, and a few "not so healthy" ones. Had a pretty good laugh throughout most of the musical. Rhino guy was awesome.

- Props use. Yes, very creative use of props. Crocodile ladder, umbrellas in the finale, stuff and stuff. But what were those things that dropped out of the cooking stove anyway?

- Dance. Dances were pretty spectacular. Maybe not very action-packed, but still very nice!

But of course, there is always some room for improvement so we can look forward to another production, isn't it? :

- Magician guy could use a little more "oomph" when he is narrating the story at the beginning. The narrating tone and "lightning boom" music abit didn't match leh...

- Leopard and Jaguar characters seemed a little... flat. Not villain-ish enough probably. Were they lecherous too?

- There were some parts when I found it really difficult trying to catch what was being said/sang. Okay, maybe its just me. But I really didn't catch much of what the kangaroo guy was singing.

- The singlish/rislow-ish english part seemed a little jarring. It's like it was placed there just for the sake of it. It could use a little more development (but what development? I also don't know la) or it probably should have been left out. Was the use of chinese intended anyway? Only 1 sentence!

Overall, the musical is good! I enjoyed it very much personally, and I'm sure most people did as well. Well worth the $21, but I'm not that calculative la!

Oh, I love the tune but I forgot how it was like.

Limpopo river...

1 comment:

Andrea said...

haha, the stuff dropped by the stove: she shitted 3 charcoals!