Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Big Move

We moved our boats, peddles and life vests from Macritchie Reservoir to Kallang River today in preparation for the race coming in 2 weeks time. We loaded them all into 2 lorries, got onto the back of the lorry and let it carry us to the river. Its so... nice.

I've come to like my canoeing team. I like how everybody looks out for each other, help each other, advise each other, encourage each other. I like how nobody looks down on anybody just because he's a little slow or little lousy with his technique. Everyone sees each other as equals, as simply a part of the team.

We don't just canoe. Its a canoeing team but its more "team" than "canoeing". We go eat dim sum, we go play LAN games, we tease those who scored GPA of 4.8.

Upon reaching the river, we unloaded for a short paddling session. When coming back to shore, we deliberately made the #1 loudest team mate capsize to have a good laugh before washing our boats together. Boat washing is... heart-warming? I don't know the right word to use here. It gives me this sense of belonging.

Everyone bringing the boats out one by one to be scrubbed, soaped, washed. A whole bunch of people working on one boat at a time. Spraying water at each other, asking for water to be sprayed on because its oh so so so hot under the afternoon sun! I think I got sunburnt. But its so fun. Its not the washing, its the washing together.

I don't know how I will fare in the race happening in 2 weeks time. We have trained really hard for the past month but I really don't think I am good enough yet. Sometimes I just feel like giving up especially during the endurance trainings, whereby we paddle continuously for 14km! But I will just tell myself, "just finish this, just finish this" and I will finish it eventually, even if not within good timing.

I do know one thing though. In this team, no one is going to blame anybody for not winning anything. We all know our limitations. We are not monsters. We know we are students. We know we have to take a break before examinations for revision. We know we are here to experience, to work hard together, and if we win anything, its a bonus.

No comments: