Sunday, July 02, 2006

Being A Marlin and Being Blue always makes me feel good

  • Especially yesterday, at the Super Captain's Ball final against the red sharks. What was thought to be a walkover in our advantage eventually became a 11 (delta) against 13 (marlins) match, after the sharks scrambled all over the sea to get enough players to avoid a walkover. And so we have, a match. The Gents were wanting to take picture without breaking a sweat, I guess not.
  • Its either complacency creeping or we were not awake, the marlins were not able to put up a fantastic performance in the 1st half despite being more in numbers. I played a very non-familiar mid-field, I am very used to being in defence. So as a result, I ran all over the place, having no idea what to do. I am really quite pathetic there. The defence was also having loopholes all over the place.
  • Half-time came and we were lectured by our captain Chun Seng for being so pathetic on the field. So we got ourselves together and went back into the field after being recharged by H2O. In my heart, I was telling myself, "This is it, we are not going to lose no matter what, we are going to take picture!!!"
  • And so we went, 2nd half, another half hour. I went down to defence after realising that mid-field won't be where I belong, plus, running up and down the mid-field is super tiring. So there I was, in my favourite right-back position.
  • Blue Marlins finally got their fins back in place. We were scoring goals, preventing goals from being scored in our net, getting the sharks frustruated. We were good.
  • Then something happened. A marlin got blind and crashed straight into a shark. That marlin was me, that shark was some random guy who was quite short. Dang, I got winded and didn't realise it was that painful. So I tried to walk about to ease off the pain, meanwhile the random guy was lying on the ground, he looked like he was dead.
  • Walking didn't ease off the pain, I sat down, but that didn't help either. I wanted to lie down but at that moment, the referee came up to me and said "Meng Hui, stand up, I have to give you yellow card." Crap, I am already in pain and have to stand up. Why can't he just give it to me while I am lying down. Nvm, I make it a quick stand while the ref make it a quick flash of the card and I came tumbling down again. I doubled in pain and was substituted out of the pitch. I needed to recover, there was no way I could run like that.
  • Somehow near the end of the match, the sharks got very fierce, they started to score goals and were playing pretty rough. One of the gents, Melvin Kwok Zhan Hao sprained his ankle. I was watching at the sidelines. So he was limping back to defence, looking for our captain. At the same time, we were attacking the sharks at their side.
  • It was quite a scene, watching from the side. On one side of the pitch, there were so many people scrambling for a goal, and to prevent a goal. On the other side, there is this lame guy limping about and the captain was touching his eyeball frantically as he lost his contact lenses. The captain then shouted for a time-out in panic but the ref didn't hear him! Play was going on and we have a limping guy and a half-blind man. Then a fight broke out at the other side of the pitch and we get a time-out without having to call it. Melvin subbed me and I went in. What a scene.
  • This time, I had to be careful, I don't want a red card. We played normally with 12 players as one fella went out coz of the fighting. We held on and the match ended Marlins 12 - 8 Sharks.
  • Yeah! And Marlins won again, winning themselves a good deal of points, vouchers which we can enjoy a meal with, and of coz the most important thing to the Gents, take picture! And so we took our winning team picture, and the Gents lived up to their name. Dang, we looked pretty good there, haha. So we achieved wad we came out to achieve, take picture. But it came with quite a fight!

No comments: